Publisher’s songwriters pick up 19 additional awards, including ‘Song of the Year’
Warner/Chappell Music—Warner Music Group’s global music publishing company—has tied for the title of 2012 Music Publisher of the Year, as announced at last night’s 29th annual ASCAP Pop Music Awards. Underscoring the legendary publisher’s stellar year and continued momentum, Warner/Chappell songwriters also picked up 19 awards, including the coveted “Song of the Year” award, which was presented to Bruno Mars and Khalil "Cassius D. Kalb" Walton for “Just the Way You Are.”
“Since joining Warner/Chappell at the beginning of 2011, I’ve had the great pleasure of working alongside our talented team of executives and songwriters as we've achieved some incredible milestones—from Katy Perry celebrating having the most No. 1 singles from a female artist’s album, to fun.'s current six-week run at the top of the charts,” said Cameron Strang, Chairman & CEO, Warner/Chappell Music. “To win Music Publisher of the Year tops off a wonderful couple of years and is testament to our position as the best home for the greatest songwriting talent, from long-time legends to the latest, breaking artists."
Warner/Chappell’s success at the ASCAP Pop Music Awards arrives on the heels of a number of recent notable company achievements, including:
• Warner/Chappell songwriters fun. currently hold the top spot on the Hot 100 for the sixth straight week with their single "We Are Young.” It is the first song ever to achieve six weeks of 300,000 or more in digital sales, and has now sold more than 3 million in digital sales to date, becoming the only song to do so in 2012.
• Warner/Chappell songwriters hold the No. 1 spots on Billboard’s Hot 100 Airplay (fun.’s “We Are Young”), Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs (The Dream for Beyonce’s “Love on Top”) and Hot Country Songs charts (Johnny Bulford for Lee Brice’s “Woman Like You”) for the week of April 21st.
• Warner/Chappell songwriter Wayne Hector has two songs currently in the top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100—The Wanted's "Glad You Came,” and Nicki Minaj's "Starships.” He also contributed two songs to One Direction's record-breaking album Up All Night, which debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200, with 176,000 copies sold.
• Earlier this month, the company launched Warner/Chappell Production Music, uniting the company’s award-winning production music houses, which consist of more than 70 catalogs, including 615 Music, Non-Stop Music, Groove Addicts, Full Tilt and CPM. Collectively, the company has composed works for countless well-known TV shows, movies and companies, including Toy Story, the Today show, ESPN and Disney, and is the recipient of many industry awards, including multiple Emmy, Telly, ADDY and Promax Awards.
• Warner/Chappell songwriter and producer, Lexus "Lex Luger" Lewis, received the award for the “Urban Producer of the Year” —the youngest recipient ever—at the 2011 BMI Urban Music Awards.
• Warner/Chappell songwriters held the No. 1 spot on the Hot R&B/Hip Hop Songs Charts every week of 2012 through March 3rd, with the songs “Lotus Flower Bomb” co-written by Wale, Drake’s “Make Me Proud” co-written by T-Minus, and Drake’s The Motto,” also co-written by T-Minus.
• The company celebrated its 200-year anniversary. Warner/Chappell recognized this bicentenary with a range of events and art work commemorating the legendary achievements of the songwriters and the people – both past and present – who have contributed to making the company one of the most important and progressive music publishers in the world.
The following is a complete list of “Most Performed Song Awards” presented to Warner/Chappell songwriters by ASCAP:
• “No Hands,” co-written by Olubowale Akintimehi AKA Wale, Christopher Gholson AKA Drumma Boy, and Juaquin Malphurs AKA Waka Flocka Flame
• “Super Bass,” co-written by Jeremy Coleman
• “Yeah 3x,” co-written by Justin Franks AKA DJ Frank E
• “Tonight,” co-written by Justin Franks AKA DJ Frank E
• “The Show Goes On,” co-written by Daniel Johnson
• “Till The World Ends,” co-written by Alex Kronlund
• “Rhythm of Love,” written by Tim Lopez of Plain White T’s
• “F**K You,” co-written by Christopher Brody Brown and Bruno Mars
• “Grenade,” co-written by Christopher Brody Brown and Bruno Mars
• “Just the Way You Are,” co-written by Khalil "Cassius D. Kalb" Walton and Bruno Mars
• “Rocketeer,” co-written by Jeremy Reeves and Bruno Mars
• “Lighters,” co-written by Bruno Mars
• “The Lazy Song,” co-written by Bruno Mars
• “ET,” co-written by Katy Perry
• “Firework,” co-written by Katy Perry
• “Last Friday Night,” co-written by Katy Perry
• “Teenage Dream,” co-written by Katy Perry
• “Black & Yellow,” co-written by Cameron Jibril Thomaz AKA Wiz Khalifa
About Warner/Chappell Music
Warner/Chappell Music is WMG's award-winning global music publishing company. The Warner/Chappell Music catalog includes standards such as "Happy Birthday To You," "Rhapsody in Blue," "Winter Wonderland," the songs of Cole Porter and George and Ira Gershwin, as well as the music of Eric Clapton, Green Day, Katy Perry, Led Zeppelin, Lil Wayne, Madonna, Nickelback, Paramore, Red Hot Chili Peppers, T.I. Timbaland, and others. Warner/Chappell Music is a leader in creating innovative strategies for marketing and promoting its songwriters and their music. The company's extensive catalog makes it a natural first stop for A&R executives and record producers, feature film and television production companies, and others looking to record or license some of the world's greatest music.
Source: Warner Music Group