Warner/Chappell Music (WCM), the music publishing arm of Warner Music Group, was named 2013 Music Publisher of the Year at last night’s 51st Annual ASCAP Country Music Awards. Underscoring the legendary publisher’s incredible year so far, WCM songwriters also picked up six ASCAP “Most Performed Song” awards.
“It’s our philosophy that creativity is best fostered with service that goes beyond what’s traditionally expected of a music publisher,” said Cameron Strang, Chairman & CEO, Warner/Chappell Music. “Ben Vaughn and his team are expertly putting this philosophy into action through their unparalleled commitment to songwriter & artist development and consistently opening up new opportunities for our roster of songwriters, both new and established. We are delighted by to be named ASCAP Publisher of the Year.”
Jon Platt, President, Creative - North America, Warner/Chappell Music, added, “This has been a great year for country music, and Warner/Chappell has had the honor of publishing many powerful songs that will be enjoyed for generations. We’re dedicated to building careers for the incredible songwriters who created this music, and we're pleased to see this recognition of the popularity and influence of their work."
“These ASCAP award wins are tremendous honors,” said Ben Vaughn, Executive Vice President, Warner/Chappell Nashville. “From Ashley Gorley and Ben Hayslip, to Michael Dulaney and Sean McConnell, to opening up opportunities for international Warner/Chappell writers like Play Productions, our roster is made up of some of the most talented individuals in the industry, and I speak for the entire Warner/Chappell Nashville staff when I say we couldn’t be more proud to be a part of their success.”
The following is a complete list of “Most Performed Song” awards presented to Warner/Chappell songwriters by ASCAP:
• “Come Wake Me Up,” co-written by Sean McConnell/Play Productions;
• “Fly Over States,” co-written by Michael Dulaney;
• “The Only Way I Know,” co-written by Ben Hayslip;
• “Good Girl,” co-written by Ashley Gorley;
• “Why You Wanna,” co-written by Ashley Gorley; and
• “Better Than I Used To Be,” co-written by Ashley Gorley
WCM’s success at the ASCAP Country Music Awards arrives on the heels of a number of recent notable company achievements, including:
• Talented songwriters and international superstars across a variety of genres have signed agreements with WCM, including Beyoncé, JAY Z, Mike WiLL Made It, Slash, Liz Rose, Lee Miller, David Garrett, and Logic, among others;
• WCM was named Music Publisher of the Year at the 32nd Canadian Music & Broadcast Industry Awards;
• WCM songwriter Nate Ruess and his band fun. took home International Group of the Year at the Canadian Radio Music Awards and International Single of the Year at the 13th Annual Independent Music Awards;
• WCM songwriter Kendrick Lamar received the ASCAP Rhythm & Soul Music Awards’s top honor, the Vanguard Award, and also picked up Best New Artist and Best Male Hip-Hop Artist at the 13th annual BET Awards; and
• Warner/Chappell songwriters won a host of awards at this year’s Grammys, including Song of the Year, Record of the Year, and Best New Artist.
Warner/Chappell Music, the global music publishing company of Warner Music Group, is home to a wide array of legendary songwriters and a rich catalog of contemporary hits and influential standards. With offices in more than 40 countries, Warner/Chappell provides deep expertise across a range of creative services and the most innovative opportunities for songwriters and copyright holders. With a history dating back more than 200 years, Warner/Chappell currently publishes and administers music from Barry Gibb, Beyoncé, Bruno Mars, Eric Clapton, fun., Gamble & Huff, Green Day, Jay-Z, Katy Perry, Led Zeppelin, Madonna, Miramax Films, Muse, Radiohead, Red Hot Chili Peppers, R.E.M, Roc Nation, Stephen Sondheim, T.I., Timbaland and Wayne Hector, among many others.
Source: Warner/Chappell Music